Rachael is an experienced advisor to government who is passionate about improving environmental outcomes and partnering with clients to get to the heart of an issue.
She has more than nine years’ experience practising law, during which she gained experience advising on complex problems and was known for taking a considered and collaborative approach. She has advised government across environment and justice sectors in litigation, mediations and project work.
- Led legislation reform projects and coordinated with external stakeholders to achieve improve regulation of management of clean air and contaminated land
- Coordinated a government department’s timely responses to urgent parliamentary orders by managing a cross-functional team and briefing senior leaders
- Prepared commercial and practical advice to government clients in relation to varied environmental, contract, grant and commercial matters
- Represented government departments to achieve conciliated outcomes at settlement conferences and mediations in false imprisonment, malicious prosecution and historical child abuse claims involving multiple government agencies
- Pitched innovative ideas about better regulation of pesticides to senior leaders in a 10-week innovation sprint and design thinking bootcamp, including conducting empathy interviews with stakeholders and building prototypes.
Outside of Nous
Before joining Nous, Rachael was a Principal Legal Officer in the New South Wales Environment Protection Authority’s Legislation and Legal Advice team, leading legislative reform projects and advising on policy reform and operational decisions. Prior to this, she acted for a range of state government agencies at Court hearings and mediation in the Torts (Justice) team at the Crown Solicitor’s Office.
Rachael started her career in HWL Ebsworth’s Planning, Environment and Government Team, where she learnt to quickly analyse large amounts of data working on large scale litigation. She holds a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Laws from University of Sydney and a Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice from College of Law.
In her spare time...
Rachael loves ocean swimming and hiking trips including the Camino. She enjoys book club catch ups, Monday pub trivia nights and catching the latest horror movie.