Sam is adept at translating information between disciplines and communicating complex concepts to any audience.
He has extensive experience in senior policy roles in the Western Australian Government, working with public sector leaders on major reform challenges, particularly involving digital transformation. Sam has a Master of International Affairs, a Graduate Certificate in Public Policy and Management, and a first-class honours degree in philosophy.
- Designed a strategy to influence the Federal Government’s engagement with Western Australia on the National Broadband Network
- Led policy development and whole-of-government consultation on a new approach to information security in the WA public sector
- Produced a strategic report on Australia’s digital economy on behalf of the WA Government, including recommendations to adapt to coming change
- Co-ordinated a WA Government partnership with a local not-for-profit that helped solve government problems, unlock agency datasets and create new start-ups
- Created a visual design strategy and communications materials for WA’s digital strategy, and associated policies, allowing senior executives to clearly explain complex concepts
- Developed an interim privacy position for the WA public sector, improving the state’s digital readiness.
Outside of Nous
Before joining Nous, Sam was a senior policy officer at the WA Department of the Premier and Cabinet, in the Office of Digital Government. He worked with stakeholders from state and federal agencies to understand business- and technology-related problems, develop solutions, and communicate them to a broad audience. He has also worked across policy and strategic project areas including community and human services, environmental approvals, and funding submissions for state government agencies.
Sam was the government representative on the Western Australian Information Technology and Telecommunications Alliance Advisory Committee from 2016 to 2019 and held state and National Youth Advisory Committee roles with the Australian Red Cross from 2014 to 2018.
In his spare time...
Outside of work, Sam enjoys reading novels, playing guitar and cooking alongside his fiancée. He is an accomplished artist, specialising in digital oils, charcoals and calligraphy.