Steve has more than 25 years of economic consulting experience. He has assisted federal, state and local governments, industry associations, not-for-profit organisations and businesses with quantitative analysis of economic impacts, regulations and pricing.
Steve has deep expertise in cost-benefit analysis, econometric modelling, forecasting, economic impact analysis and Australian Government agency cost recovery. Sector experience includes transport and infrastructure, aviation, tourism, health, environment, agriculture, education and financial services.
- Assisted the Queensland Government develop policy responses for tourism industry recovery following COVID-19
- Analysed the value and pricing of databases relating to credit worthiness for an Australian Government regulator
- Assessed the economic impacts of proposed university infrastructure projects, telehealth initiatives and precinct development (multiple projects in various Australian locations)
- Partnered with a national allied health body to articulate the economic value of its profession by modelling benefits and costs (e.g. cost versus quality-adjusted life years (QALYs) gained)
- Conducted cost-benefit analysis of using biomass to produce renewable diesel or hydrogen for the Western Australian Government.
Outside of Nous
Steve started his economic consulting career with Access Economics as a Senior Economist and rose to become a co-owner and company director. He was responsible for leading the Economic Advisory and Policy practice, managing a large team and assisting clients with applied microeconomic analysis and economic modelling. After 20 years at Access Economics, Steve established Cadence Economics and consulted with Strategic Reform before joining Nous in 2019. Steve started his career at the Australian Bureau of Statistics as a research officer, with a cadet study scholarship during his honours year of a Bachelor of Economics (econometrics) at the Australian National University.
In his spare time...
Steve is a volunteer patrol captain with Broulee Surfers Surf Life Saving Club, keeping the public safe between the flags, and educating future lifesavers as chair of the Canberra/Broulee Nippers program.