Athol is a data analytics expert with extensive experience in mathematical and statistical modelling, simulation and analysis in a range of sectors.
He has successfully applied these skills to improve strategy, modelling and management of key public systems and resources throughout Australia and the United States. Athol holds a PhD in applied mathematical modelling and has a passion for evidence-based policy and decision-making. He has over 15 years of experience applying scientific rigour to important management questions that require timely real-world solutions.
- Designed a data-driven workforce modelling system for a major state policing agency that forms part of that organization’s annual recruitment and deployment strategy
- Led the development of a supply-demand forecasting model for Court Services Victoria that informed a multi-stage roll-out strategy to optimize service reach
- Developed a supply-demand forecasting model for the Royal Women’s Hospital (RWH) to better understand workforce and infrastructure needs. The model was used by the RWH board for strategic planning
- Produced an interactive data mapping tool for the Department of Premier and Cabinet NSW to map regional services and assess service supply gaps
- Developed new analytical systems to improve modelling, assessment and management of oceanic fisheries with the CSIRO and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (USA).
Outside of Nous
Before joining Nous, Athol was Managing Director at Mezo Research, a small consulting company specialising in modelling and analytics. Prior to that he held senior research roles with government and scientific agencies in Australia and the United States. His work has been published in dozens of peer-reviewed journal articles and scientific reports.
Athol holds a PhD in Applied Mathematical Modelling and a Bachelor of Science (Honours) from The University of Melbourne. Whilst mostly applying these skills to his working roles, Athol has also combined his love of sports with modelling of sporting leagues, their draft systems, and labour dynamics. His co-authored work has been published in sports economics journals and even a book.
In his spare time...
Athol enjoys swimming, playing tennis, fishing, and following Australian Rules football. He also enjoys spending time with his wife and children, especially travelling and visiting family together in regional Victoria.