Michael uses his background in engineering and commerce to add value to companies and other organisations.
He has experience working in start-ups and large multinational companies operating in the biotechnology, mining and manufacturing industries, as well as in the social impact sector. He combines a structured approach to problem-solving with creativity and strong stakeholder engagement to contribute to project success.
- Led a team of 120 operators in a multinational food company through a high-volume crop season, which involved production planning, cross-functional collaboration, workshop facilitation and implementing and sustaining a new preventative maintenance routine
- Delivered efficiency and quality improvement projects at large mining and manufacturing operations using Lean Six Sigma methodology
- Employed a first-principles approach to determine root causes of operational issues with a first-generation plastic recycling technology for a biotechnology start-up
- Assisted a large not-for-profit by developing a business plan, financial model and implementation strategy for a new social enterprise to employ and upskill homeless people
- Assessed thermochemical waste-to-energy (WtE) technologies for NSW residual municipal solid waste, a key technological barrier to establishing a local WtE supply chain.
Outside of Nous
Prior to joining Nous, Michael worked in site-based engineering roles across a range of industries. His most recent position was Utilities Engineer at Kraft Heinz, where he was responsible for driving water and energy reduction initiatives. Michael has also gained experience in engineering roles at BHP and Licella (a biotech start-up). During university, he discovered a keen interest in social impact when he volunteered as an analyst for Investing for Charity (UNSW chapter) and completed a work placement with Social Impact Hub.
Michael holds a Bachelor of Chemical Engineering (Honours Class 1) and a Bachelor of Commerce (Finance with Distinction) from the University of New South Wales.
In his spare time...
Michael loves hiking and scuba diving (often used as an excuse to travel!). He is an amateur home cook and brewer but hopes to develop his craft.