Phil is one of Australia’s foremost thinkers in law enforcement, intelligence and national security.
He was a serving officer in the Australian Federal Police for 34 years before retiring at Commander level in 2014. Phil played a key role in important law enforcement initiatives, establishing multi-agency intelligence capabilities in Australia’s major airports, designing and implementing arrangements to set and manage Australia’s counter-terrorism priorities in the Counter Terrorism Control Centre, and developing the Australian Criminal Intelligence Model and Strategy.
- Oversaw the Australian Federal Police (AFP) operational prioritisation model to establish an effective threat and harm-based framework to manage supply and demand for policing resources across the agency
- Contributed to the International Engagement 2020 and Beyond approach for AFP offshore liaison deployments, enabling a greater focus on operational effectiveness
- Undertook strategic organisational design to enable the creation of the Australian Border Force in 2015
- Drafted the first Mental Health National Action Plan for Emergency Services Workers, for the National Recovery and Resilience Agency
- Designed the Australian Centre to Counter Child Exploitation (ACCCE) operating model, blueprint and strategy in three projects over 18 months.
Outside of Nous
For nine years Phil has led the Australian Institute of Professional Intelligence Officers (AIPIO) through extensive realignment to enhance its relevance in Australia and credentials offshore. He initiated the first national certification and accreditation scheme and continuing professional development program for intelligence practitioners in Australia, and the first international intelligence conference in Australia in 2022.
Phil holds a Doctor of Philosophy in Law from the University of New England, where his thesis was a critical examination of witness protection in Australia. He is a Member of the Australian Institute of Project Management (MAIPM), a Member of the Institute of Management Consultants (MIMC) and a Certified Practising Project Director (CPPD).
Phil has been published multiple times in international journals and presented at conferences on witness protection, intelligence, law enforcement and national security. He is regularly sought for media interviews.
In his spare time...
Phil is dedicated to his partner (Diana) of more than 30 years. Together they love to travel to Asia, Europe and the United Kingdom. He and Diana designed and built their home in NSW.