Steve has broad expertise in public health; particularly HIV and sexual health, LGBTIQ+ health, and marginalised populations.
He works across public policy, strategy, evaluations and reviews. He also has extensive experience in health and medical research, including in the Australian medical research institute sector.
- Managed the development of a strategy, operating model and implementation plan for a medical research institute
- Developed options for strategic collaboration among national peak sexual health organisations
- Reviewed complex funding arrangements between the federal government and a national immunisation organisation
- Evaluated an initiative aimed at increasing equitable access to IVF
- Provided expert advice into the development, analysis and reporting of a survey for LGBTIQ+ Canberrans.
Outside of Nous
Steve is passionate about equity, diversity and inclusion. (EDI) He was a member of the Kirby Institute EDI committee, the Australian Association for Medical Research Institutes Gender EDI Committee and the University of New South Wales (UNSW) Sydney LGBTIQ working group. He was also invited to join an expert panel to provide recommendations about sex and gender in health and medical research.
Steve has published 15 peer-reviewed articles in top-ranking public health and social science journals about HIV, sexuality and sexual health. He has presented at conferences including the AIDS conference, the AIDS Impact conference, the Australasian HIV and AIDS Conference and the International Union against Sexually Transmitted Infections.
Steve holds a Doctor of Philosophy (social sciences) from UNSW and a Bachelor of Communications (Honours in writing and cultural studies) from the University of Technology Sydney.