Ian has 25 years of experience in operational management of hospitals, community health and mental health services at the state and federal levels.
His expertise includes leadership of strategic and operational health service planning, design and implementation of major health infrastructure projects, and developing and implementing health service performance frameworks. Ian has a thorough understanding of operational management, covering system performance and financial and human resource management.
- Led Australian Capital Territory (ACT) Health participation in federal, state and territory negotiations for the development of the National Health Reform Agreements
- Implemented a new clinical governance framework for ACT Health services
- Worked with the ACT Education and Training Directorate to establish new service support arrangements of school students with complex health needs
- Developed an ACT wide elective surgery plan to enable more timely access to elective surgery
- Worked with Calvary Health Care ACT, private hospitals and surgeons to conduct an elective surgery blitz to significantly reduce the number of people waiting longer than clinically recommended timeframes.
Outside of Nous
Before joining Nous, Ian was deputy director general at Canberra Hospital and Health Services, responsible for leading and managing a tertiary hospital and associated community health and mental health services. Prior to that, he performed senior roles in ACT Health and the Australian Department of Health. He also sat on the Research Advisory Board of the Australian Primary Health Care Research Institute.
Ian holds a Bachelor of Arts (Honours) from the Australian National University.
In his spare time...
Ian enjoys spending time with his partner and young children. He is a keen skier and a frequent gym attendee, and likes to relax by reading and solving cryptic crosswords.