Raj has deep executive-level experience in clinical, operational and ministry settings in the Australian health sector. He has designed and delivered transformational change programs, including new models of emergency access, ambulance reform and creating comprehensive integrated chronic disease management programs.
Raj has driven the strategy, testing and adoption of alternative settings for care, including hospital in the home and telehealth. He has championed the inclusion of significant consumer engagement at the core of healthcare innovation.
- Led the redesign and turnaround of a large emergency department to improve waiting times, patient and staff satisfaction and quality outcomes; leading to winning the ‘most improved patient satisfaction in an emergency department in the world’ (Press Ganey awards)
- Wrote a successful $100M cabinet submission for a chronic disease management strategy for a large jurisdiction
- Developed a world-first Graduate Certificate in Clinical Redesign course, which has been delivered to over 600 students
- Assisted a major private health insurer to reformulate its alternatives to hospital admission programs
- Developed and implemented the largest annual patient experience survey in Australia: the survey continues and collects experiences from over a quarter-of-a- million patients per year.
Outside of Nous
Raj was Executive Director, System Transformation, Evaluation and Patient Experience with the NSW Agency for Clinical Innovation for seven years. Before that he held a role as Director, Health Services Performance Improvement Branch at NSW Health for four years. He was awarded a six-month executive secondment through the NSW Government and the Business Council of Australia to work with Medibank Private as Program Design and Clinical Innovation Subject Matter Expert.
Raj is acknowledged as a leading expert in the fields of value-based health care, patient-reported outcome measures, healthcare redesign, telehealth and consumer engagement. He also has expertise in many service improvement methods including Lean/Six Sigma, redesign, business process reengineering and experienced-based co-design.
Raj holds a Bachelor of Science from the University of Sydney, a Graduate Diploma in Business from Curtin University, an Executive Master of Public Administration and Executive Follows Program from the Australia and New Zealand School of Government, and is a graduate of the Company Directors Course at the Australian Institute of Company Directors.